Should I Go to the Doctor After a Car Accident in Rock Hill, SC?

Should I Go to the Doctor After a Car Accident in Rock Hill, SC?

As the fifth largest city in South Carolina, Rock Hill is one of the state’s most popular places to live and visit. The city is known for its beautiful scenery and friendly people. However, Rock Hill is also a hot spot for car accidents. Close to Charlotte and Columbia, it exists along one of the busiest interstates in the state, I-85. If you have been involved in a car accident in Rock Hill, it is important to know what to do next.

The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor is here to help if you or someone close to you has been injured in a car accident. We have experience handling various types of South Carolina car accidents and have helped thousands of people across North and South Carolina get the compensation they deserve, and we can help you too. Contact us today for a free consultation. Let us put our experience to work for you.

What Should I Do if I Have Been in a Car Accident?

If you have been in a car accident, there are a few things you should do:

  1. See a doctor as soon as possible, even if you don’t think you are injured. It’s always best to be on the safe side and get checked out by a medical professional. 
  2. Get the contact information of any witnesses to the accident. Witnesses can provide valuable testimony if you decide to file a personal injury claim. Unfortunately this information doesn’t always make it to the police report, so it’s best to get it yourself if possible, even if it’s just a business card.  
  3. Take pictures of the accident scene and all the vehicles involved, if possible. These pictures can be used as evidence in your personal injury claim.
  4. Contact an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.

The Importance of Seeking Medical Treatment After a Rock Hill Car Accident

Many car accident victims choose not to seek medical treatment. We understand that it may not seem necessary in some cases, such as a fender bender or other minor accidents. But even in these types of cases, it is essential that you at least be evaluated by a doctor. Here are some reasons why:

You May Have Undiagnosed Injuries

It is common for people to walk away from a car crash feeling just fine, only to start experiencing pain days or weeks later. This is because adrenaline can mask the symptoms of injuries, especially in the hours following an accident. A trained medical professional will be able to spot these types of injuries and provide you with the treatment you need.

Your Injuries May Be More Serious Than You Think

Even if you don’t feel like you need medical attention, there is always the possibility that your injuries are more serious than you realize. A doctor can properly assess your injuries and determine whether or not they are serious.

You May Need Documentation of Your Injuries

You will need documentation of your injuries if you decide to file a personal injury claim. A doctor’s report will provide this documentation and will be essential to your claim.

You May Need Medication or Surgery

Victims of car accidents sometimes require medication or surgery to recover properly. If you do not seek medical treatment, you will not be able to get the medicine or surgery you need.

You May Need to Miss Work

Even if your injuries are not serious, you will likely need to miss some work time to recover. This can be a significant financial burden if you are unprepared for it and most insurance companies will not accept a lost wage claim if you are not written out of work by a medical provider due to your injuries.

If you need help finding a doctor or filing a personal injury claim, contact the experienced Rock Hill car accident lawyers at The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor.

What Kind of Doctor Should I See After a Car Accident in Rock Hill, SC?

If you do decide to seek medical treatment after a motor vehicle crash, you may be wondering what kind of doctor you should see. The answer to this question depends on the nature of your injuries.

Emergency Room Doctors

If you are experiencing severe injuries, you may need to go to the emergency room. Injuries that may require immediate care include:

  • Broken bones
  • Severe lacerations
  • Head injuries
  • Internal bleeding

Emergency room doctors are trained to deal with all types of injuries; however, remember that they will primarily only determine your immediate needs. You will often need to schedule follow-up appointments with a specialist to ensure you are on the road to a full recovery.

Primary Care Physicians

You may only need to see your primary care physician for less serious injuries. Injuries that a primary care physician can treat include:

  • Whiplash
  • Bruises and contusions
  • Strains and sprains

If you have a regular doctor you see for your annual physicals or other health concerns, they will likely be able to treat your car accident injuries as well. If not, they can provide an initial evaluation and refer you to specialists if necessary.


Depending on your injuries, many different types of specialists can treat car accident victims. Some of the most common specialists include:

Orthopedic Surgeons

Orthopedic surgeons are doctors who specialize in the treatment of bones and joints. You may need to see an orthopedic surgeon if you have been in a car accident and have suffered broken bones or joint damage. Orthopedic surgeons can provide you with the following treatments:

  • Surgery to repair broken bones or joint damage
  • Physical therapy to help you regain range of motion
  • Rehabilitation to help you return to your normal activities

Orthopedic surgeons can also provide you with advice on how to prevent further injuries.


A neurologist is a doctor who specializes in the treatment of the nervous system. You may need to see a neurologist if you have suffered a spinal cord or traumatic brain injury in a car accident. Neurologists can provide you with the following treatments:

  • Medication to relieve pain and other symptoms
  • Surgery to repair damage to the nervous system
  • Physical therapy to help you regain range of motion and strength
  • Rehabilitation to help you return to your normal activities


Psychologists are mental health professionals who specialize in the treatment of psychological disorders. Many accident victims don’t realize they have trauma from a car accident until weeks or months after the accident.

If you have been in a car accident, you may need to see a psychologist if you are experiencing any of the following psychological symptoms:

  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder
  • Insomnia
  • Flashbacks

Psychological trauma is a serious injury, just like whiplash or a concussion, and you deserve compensation for your pain and suffering.

Tell Your Doctor Everything About Your Injuries

Once you have decided which type of doctor to see, it is important that you tell your doctor everything about your injuries. It is also important to tell your doctor how the accident happened and what kind of force was involved. Be as specific as possible when describing your symptoms and what limitations you have due to your injuries.

Your medical records will play an important role in any personal injury claim you may file. The insurance company will use your medical records to determine how much money you should receive for your injuries. If you don’t see a doctor after an accident, the insurance company may argue that your injuries are not severe or were caused by something other than the car accident.

Follow Your Doctor’s Care Plan

After your initial visit, your doctor will likely give you a care plan. This care plan may include things like:

  • Medication
  • Physical therapy
  • Injections
  • Surgery

It is important that you follow your doctor’s care plan. If you don’t, you risk further injury leading to long-term complications. In addition, the insurance company may argue that your injuries are not as serious as you claim if you don’t follow your doctor’s care plan.

Keep Track of All Your Medical Bills and Expenses

You should keep track of all your medical bills and expenses related to the car accident. This includes things like:

  • Doctor’s visits
  • Hospital stays
  • Surgery
  • Physical therapy
  • Rehabilitation
  • Medication

You should also keep track of lost wages if you cannot work because of your injuries. Whether you file your claim through your own insurance company, the other driver’s insurance company, or pursue a car accident lawsuit, your medical records, and bills will help determine how much money you should receive for your injuries. Without this information, it will be harder to prove that your injuries and damages were caused by the collision.

Do I Need to Go to the Doctor Immediately After the Accident?

The answer to this question depends on the severity of your injuries. If you are experiencing any severe symptoms, such as intense pain, trouble breathing, or dizziness, you should go to the emergency room immediately. For less serious injuries, you may be able to wait a day or two before making an appointment with your doctor.

However, it is important to remember that some injuries may not present symptoms immediately. Therefore, seeing a doctor as soon as possible after a car accident is always a good idea.

How to Find a Doctor After a Car Wreck in Rock Hill, South Carolina

There are a few options if you need to find a doctor after a car accident. You can ask your primary care doctor for a referral to a specialist. You can also search online for doctors specializing in treating car accident injuries. Finally, you can contact a local hospital or urgent care center and ask for a list of recommended doctors.

No matter which option you choose, it is important that you find a doctor who has experience treating car accident victims. This will ensure that you receive the best possible treatment for your injuries.

Contact a Rock Hill Personal Injury Lawyer For Assistance With Your Car Accident Claim

If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The best way to find out is to contact a car accident lawyer for a free case evaluation. An experienced attorney will be able to review your case and help you understand your legal options.

Don’t wait too long to get started on your claim. In South Carolina, you typically only have three years from the accident date to file car accident claims. You may lose your right to recover compensation if you wait too long.  Every claim has a statute of limitations and the statute of limitations in your particular case is something you should discuss with your attorney early on. 

Schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys today. We will review your case and help you understand your legal options.

Subscribe to Monthly Newsletter