Car Accidents in Statesville, NC
Though Statesville is relatively small, car accidents are still fairly common. According to the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles, 732 car accidents occurred in Statesville in 2019.
Out of those accidents, over 500 victims suffered injuries, with five victims suffering a fatality.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Statesville, NC
If you are involved in a car accident, you should do a few things to protect yourself and your rights.
- Make sure everyone is okay and call 911 immediately.
- Seek medical attention right away, even if you do not think your injuries are severe. Some serious injuries can take time to manifest and may be more difficult to treat if they go untreated at the time of the accident.
- Gather information from the other drivers involved in the accident. This includes their name, contact information, insurance company, and policy number.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, including the damage to all vehicles involved, not just your own.
- If you can, take down any witnesses’ names and contact information.
- Contact a car accident lawyer in Statesville, NC, as soon as possible. They can help you file an insurance claim and protect your rights throughout the process.
Car Accident Cases We Cover In Statesville
Many different types of car accidents can occur in Statesville, NC. The accident’s severity will determine the compensation you receive and how long your case may take to process.
Some common types of car accidents include:
- Rear-end collisions often happen when a driver is distracted or not paying attention to the road.
- Side-swipe collisions occur when drivers change lanes and do not see the other car.
- Head-on collisions are some of the most severe types of car accidents and can result in serious injuries or death.
- T-bone accidents happen when one car crashes into the side of another vehicle, typically at an intersection.
- Pedestrian accidents can be some of the most serious types of accidents, as pedestrians have little to no protection when hit by a car.
If you have been seriously injured in any car accident, contact The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor for a free consultation.
Common Injuries After An Auto Accident In Statesville, NC
A car accident can occur in the blink of an eye and result in severe injuries for all parties involved. Some common types of injuries include:
- Broken Bones are very common after a car accident, as some accidents involve extreme force at high speeds.
- Whiplash is one of the most commonly reported injuries after a car accident. Whiplash is a neck injury that occurs when the head is jerked forward and backward suddenly, similar to cracking a whip.
- Traumatic brain injuries occur after an impact causes the victim’s brain to hit their skull or move around in the skull. A traumatic brain injury can be very severe and cause long-term health complications.
Spinal cord injuries can be very serious and often result in paralysis or the inability to feel certain parts of the body.
Is It Worth Suing After a Car Accident?
The answer to this question largely depends on the severity of your injuries, how the accident occurred and the amount of coverage available. If you have suffered significant injuries due to the car accident, it is likely worth filing a personal injury lawsuit.
Car accident lawsuits can take time to process, but our attorneys will work diligently to get you the compensation you deserve. In addition, we do not charge any fees until we win your case, so you have nothing to lose.
What is the Claims Process for a Car Accident in Statesville, NC
After a car accident, you may be wondering what to expect from the legal process. A lawyer can help walk you through this time and make sure your rights are protected. They will also be able to answer any questions you have along the way.
Filing a Claim
You will need to establish a claim with the other driver’s insurance company as soon as possible after an accident. This is one of the main reasons you should hire a lawyer right away. Your lawyer can help you with your insurance claim and communicate with their adjusters on your behalf. They will ensure that everything is done properly so that you can focus on your recovery.
Contact the Insurance Company
The insurance company will likely want to take a recorded statement from you. This is where they ask you questions about the accident and your injuries. Again, it is important to have a lawyer by your side during this process, including whether or not to even give a statement, as they can help you answer these questions correctly and protect your rights.
Settle the Case
If the other driver was at fault for the accident, their insurance company might try to settle your case out of court. This is why it is important to have an experienced lawyer who can protect your best interests and advise you on whether they recommend you accept the settlement offer or file a lawsuit. They will negotiate on your behalf and make sure you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Negligence in North Carolina
To receive compensation for your injuries, the insurance company or court will need to determine that the other driver was negligent. This means they were careless or reckless when driving and caused your injuries as a result. Some common examples of drivers being negligent include:
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failing to yield the right of way
If you believe the other driver was negligent in any way, contact a car accident attorney in Statesville, NC, for a free consultation. They will be able to help you establish your case.
How Long After a Car Accident Can You Sue in North Carolina?
In North Carolina, you generally have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. However, it is important to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible after an accident so they can begin protecting your rights as there are instances where the statute of limitations is shorter, as in a wrongful death claim where the statute of limitations is two years.
Damages You Can Recover in a Statesville Car Accident Claim
If you were injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to several types of damages. These can help cover your medical bills and any lost income due to missing work. You may also receive compensation for your pain and suffering.
The following are some of the most common types of damages that may be awarded after a car accident:
Medical Bills – You can receive compensation for any medical bills you have incurred due to the accident. This includes both past and future expenses as long as they can be verified by your medical provider as medically necessary.
Lost Income – If you have missed work due to your injuries, you can receive compensation for this lost income.
Pain and Suffering – You may be awarded damages for the pain and suffering you have endured due to the accident.
Wrongful Death – If someone died due to a car accident, the victim’s family may be able to receive compensation for the loss of their loved one.
Contact our Statesville Car Accident Attorneys
If you have been injured in a car wreck, it is important to hire an experienced lawyer who can protect your rights. The sooner you contact a lawyer after the accident, the better. They will be able to begin working on your case and protecting your rights immediately.
At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we help you seek the justice you deserve for your injuries. Our car accident lawyers are well versed in NC personal injury law with a proven track record of securing significant compensation in injury cases for our clients.
Our law firm understands that this time may be difficult for you and your family, and we are here to assist you with your claim. We take on insurance companies and negotiate with them to ensure that you receive fair treatment. We are also not afraid to go to trial when it’s in our client’s best interest.
Contact a personal injury lawyer today for a free legal consultation and learn more about what we can do to support you. We will answer your questions and explain all of your legal options.