The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, P.C., have car accident lawyers in Columbia, South Carolina, with more than 100 years of combined experience to represent you in your car accident case. Several factors can cause a car accident, which may result in injuries and property damage. Those injuries may cause loss of income, medical bills, and more. Insurance companies are looking out for their best interests. You need to know your rights and take the proper steps following a car accident, including hiring an experienced car accident lawyer. We’d like to have the opportunity to help you with your car accident claim.
On This Page
Why should I hire a car accident lawyer in Columbia, SC?
While you can take on a car accident claim yourself, these types of claims can get complicated quickly. An insurance adjuster or the insurance company’s defense attorney can use anything you say against you as an admission. Having legal representation from an experienced car accident lawyer from The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, P.C., can protect you during these types of conversations.
Often, when recovering from injuries sustained in a car accident, you need to have the time to focus on healing rather than worrying about processing your car accident claim. Hiring a knowledgeable auto accident lawyer in Columbia, South Carolina, can take the stress out of your claim and give you valuable time to heal and get back to your life.
Can I Settle a Columbia Car Accident Claim Without an Attorney?
The simple answer is yes. But are you going to get the same settlement you would if you used a car accident attorney? Probably not. When you hire a car accident attorney, you’re hiring the individual’s experience, expertise, and knowledge base to go to work for your case. As a result, you stand a higher chance of getting the settlement you deserve and avoiding a trial.
The attorneys at The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, P.C., are ready to put in the time, energy, and commitment to get you what you deserve. These experienced Columbia car accident lawyers know how to handle cases to get the best settlement possible, and they won’t settle for less than what you deserve.
What Types of Damages Can a Columbia Car Accident Lawyer Recover?
A car accident lawyer can recover two basic types of damages, compensatory and punitive. Compensatory damages compensate the plaintiff for any financial loss suffered due to the injury resulting from the car accident. These damages can be either economic or noneconomic.
Economic damages can include:
- Lost wages, such as current and future wages.
- Medical bills and current and future medical expenses.
- Property damage.
- Rehabilitation or any costs for future care.
- Any other monetary costs.
Noneconomic damages can include:
- Pain and suffering.
- Mental or emotional anguish.
- Loss of enjoyment in activities.
Punitive damages punish the defendant, especially in cases of gross negligence. The areas we see punitive damages awarded most often include cases involving:
- Road rage.
- Product liability.
- Drunk driving.
- Distracted driving.
- Medical malpractice.
The car accident lawyers at The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, P.C., fight for the compensation you deserve based on the intricacies of your case.
What Is My Car Accident Case Worth?
We can’t give you an exact number because no two accidents are the same and several factors enter into consideration when determining the value of your case. However, we can assure you that we will fight for you to receive fair and just compensation. Do not trust lawyers who give you an estimate before investigating your case, as determining value is complex and time-consuming.
Our auto accident lawyers will gladly explain what we feel is an appropriate value of your case once we’ve had the time and opportunity to uncover all the strengths and weaknesses in your case. We have the experience in negotiating necessary to get you the results you seek. Factors that affect the total compensation include:
- The severity of injuries.
- Accident severity (fender bender or head-on crash).
- Required medical treatments.
- Insurance available.
- Long-term effects.
- Property damage.
- Insurance coverage.
- Percentage of fault in the accident.
- Number of people involved in the accident.
What Are the Steps To Take After a Car Accident in Columbia?
Car accidents can be a scary and stressful experience. Follow these tips to help you after you’ve been involved in a car accident in Columbia:
- Call 911: Regardless of the extent of body or property damage, it’s essential to involve the police so that there’s a police report of the accident. Your insurance company may require an accident report as well, but a car accident lawyer can use the report to help build your case. A police report will document who was at fault for the car accident.
- Stay put: Unless the vehicles block traffic or are a danger to others, leave vehicles just as they appear after the car accident.
- Record everything: Start recording what happened immediately leading up to, during, and after the accident. This account may be helpful to your attorney or insurance company. You can record anything that may have caused the accident, such as a tree covering a stop sign, your pain level, and any witness statements.
- Get driver information: When you’re involved in a car accident, you should get the other driver’s information, including name, address, phone number, vehicle make and model, and license plate number. You should also exchange insurance information.
- Take photos: These days, most cell phones have a camera, making it easy to quickly document the scene with photographic evidence. Take pictures of the vehicles, any injuries, and the scene itself. Include any detail that may have caused the accident, such as a broken stoplight.
- Get medical attention: Whether or not you feel your injuries are serious, you should seek medical attention immediately. The doctor may find something you didn’t notice, including internal injuries. It’s also important to document any injuries, especially if you experience a sore neck the day after the accident.
- Inform insurance: Even if the other driver was 100% at fault, you should contact your insurance agent or company to report the car accident.
- Start a file: Keep everything regarding the accident in one spot, including the police report, witness statements, photos, medical bills, and medical records. Having everything in one place will help with your car accident claim.
- Contact an attorney: Now is the time to contact a car accident lawyer to represent you and your rights.
What Are the Steps in the Car Accident Claim Process in Columbia, SC?
The legal system has made civil litigation deliberate on purpose to allow all parties involved due process. Due process means having enough time to be fair to everyone. Expect the following from a car accident claim:
- Complaint: The plaintiff files a complaint and sends it to the defendant.
- Response: The defendant has the opportunity to respond to your complaint. This response is usually limited to a time frame, such as a month.
- Discovery: Both parties have the chance to request documents and ask questions. This process can take several months.
- Trial: If a settlement is unable to be reached, the case will go to trial.
- Appeal: If necessary, either party can appeal the trial results.
How Long Does the Car Accident Claim Process Take in Columbia?
There’s no way to determine how long the process will take because many factors are involved, including whether a settlement can be reached quickly or not. Typically, a car accident claim will take approximately six months from beginning to end. If you’re unable to settle and the case goes to trial, it could take up to two years to resolve your case.
What Are the Standard Fees for a Car Accident Lawyers in Columbia?
The experienced team at The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, P.C., offers several legal services on a contingency fee basis. A contingency fee basis means that you don’t pay any legal fees unless you receive compensation. Car accidents cases follow a contingency model. You won’t pay unless we win.
Contact our Car Accident Lawyers in Columbia, SC
Our Columbia auto accident lawyers treat you like a person, not like another client. If you or someone you love has been involved in a car accident, don’t hesitate to reach out to the experienced car accident lawyers at The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, P.C. We have the knowledge and expertise to get you the compensation you deserve after being injured in a car accident in Columbia, South Carolina. Contact our office today to schedule a free, no-obligation initial consultation.
2000 Park St #102
Columbia, SC 29201