These are illnesses that have been proven to be caused by factors peculiar to a particular occupation, such as cancer caused by radiation exposure. Occupational diseases are compensable under workers’ compensation if the treating doctor determines that exposure at work was a significant contributing factor in the illness.
More than 3 million non-fatal workplace injuries and illnesses occurred among private industry employees in the U.S. in 2013, as reported by the U.S. Department of Labor. The incidence rate amounted to 33 injuries out of every 1000 full-time workers.
Among those, more than three million injuries and illnesses, 94.9 percent or 2.9 million were injuries caused by workplace accidents. More than 2.1 million (75.5 percent) of these injuries occurred in the course of service industry employment and the remaining 24.5 percent occurred in goods-producing industries.
In North Carolina, the private industry workplace injury incidence rate was lower than the national rate, at 27 per every 1000 full-time employees. If you are injured on the job in North Carolina, you may be covered by workers’ compensation insurance as required by state law if the company you work for has three or more employees.