Under North Carolina law, the Surviving Family in a Wrongful Death Action Can Recover
- Medical costs for the deceased
- Pain and suffering damages
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of income
- Loss of consortium
After an accident, for compassionate legal counsel, call The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor at (800) 351-3008 to schedule a free case evaluation with our North Carolina and South Carolina wrongful death lawyers.
Understanding Wrongful Death Law in North Carolina
When wondering if you are eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of a loved one, consider this question:
If the deceased had lived through the accident, would they have had grounds for a personal injury lawsuit?
In other words, was the accident the result of someone else’s negligence or carelessness? If so, a direct relative or another party may file for wrongful death and receive the compensation that the deceased would have been owed. They may be owed more given the severity of the situation and the emotional distress the loved ones have suffered.
There are Several End Goals in a Wrongful Death Suit
- Recovery the medical expenses used to treat the deceased before the end, if applicable, and the funeral costs incurred by the surviving family.
- Help with the loss of income from a death. This could apply to the lost wages once earned by the deceased or when the bereaved need to take off their jobs to process grief and deal with the tragedy’s aftermath.
- Seek punitive damages against those responsible. These damages enact some direct punishment to those that were responsible. Not all wrongful death lawsuits involve the pursuit of punitive damages. They usually are charged in cases where the negligence was so egregious that it could be said the liable parties willfully allowed it to happen.
Obtain Justice for Wrongful Death in North Carolina & South Carolina
The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor are full of decent, hardworking people just like our clients.
Our North Carolina and South Carolina wrongful death attorneys are down-to-earth people that are very empathetic to the plight of the injured. We offer compassionate legal counsel to the surviving family members and keep them involved in the case from start to finish. Our team consists of fervent and aggressive litigators that take great pride in assisting the people of our community.