How Common Are Car Accident Injuries in Gastonia NC?
According to the Division of Motor Vehicles, 1,152 people were injured in Gastonia, and ten died in traffic accidents in 2019. Despite the relaxed atmosphere in Gaston County, individuals and families still suffer injuries and deaths from vehicle accidents.
One of the most critical steps car accident victims need to take is standing up for their right to fair monetary compensation for their injuries sustained in the accident.
Is Hiring a Gastonia Car Accident Lawyer Worth It?
The first question you’ll likely ask yourself after a car accident is whether hiring a car accident lawyer is worth it for you. Yes, it is beneficial in most situations, especially in cases where you’ve suffered a personal injury.
What Can a Gastonia Car Accident Lawyer Do for You?
Insurance companies have entire teams of adjusters ready when you file your injury claim after your accident. They will look for ways to lower your settlement. Even if they appear to have your best interest in mind, their main concern is saving themselves money.
Having a Gastonia auto accident law firm on your side during a car accident case helps level the playing field. They’ll begin an investigation immediately, gathering evidence of the other driver’s error and your damages. This includes:
- Retrieving a copy of the police report from your accident
- Investigating the accident scene
- Talking to witnesses of the accident
- Calculating total damages, including pain and suffering damages
- Communicating with the insurance company on your behalf
An insurance company may use any information they find against you and prevent you from getting full and fair compensation. Our Gastonia, NC car accident lawyers ensure that they are helping clients by using every piece of information they have to help you negotiate with an insurance adjuster for a fair settlement.
What Types of Car Accident Causes Do We Cover in Gastonia, NC?
Various causes can lead to a car accident. Our car accident lawyers in Gastonia will cover:
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Aggressive driving
- Running a red light
- Failing to yield
- Unsafe lane changes
- Improper turns
These are simply a few common causes that could lead to a car crash. Contact a Gastonia car accident attorney for a free consultation to learn how we can help with your case.
What You Should Do Right After a Car Accident in Gastonia, NC?
Car accidents bring your day to a halt. Immediately after, you may be terrified or in shock, preventing you from thinking straight and taking the proper steps to ensure that you get everything you need should you choose to hire a car accident lawyer.
Here are six things we recommend you do directly after a car accident.
- Stop your vehicle and do not leave the scene: Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime. You may want to get away from the car accident as soon as possible in your panic or shock. But, unless you have serious injuries and require immediate treatment, remain at the scene until law enforcement arrives.
- Call the Gastonia Police Department or other law enforcement: If someone is injured, you’ll want to call 911. Otherwise, call the police or other law enforcement. The authorities will file an official accident report that will include details of the scene and any additional information you may need to pursue compensation eventually.
- Get as much information and evidence that you can: In case of legal issues, you’ll want to get as much information from the driver and anyone else at the scene, especially witnesses. Gather names, phone numbers from witnesses, driver’s license number, vehicle registration information, insurance company name, and policy number from the other driver.
- Contact your insurance company: Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible to get the claims process started.
- Go to the hospital: Even if you feel fine after the accident, you must go to a hospital because you could be suffering from internal injuries that won’t be obvious until later. Once you’re there, be specific in explaining the accident and any injuries or problems you are experiencing. Provide proof of any medical costs you’ve accrued once you seek legal representation.
Contact an experienced Gastonia car accident lawyer: Insurance companies, first and foremost, are looking out for themselves, and they have mass amounts of resources at their disposal. Seek legal advice from experienced Gastonia car accident lawyers whose purpose is to help victims take on insurance companies, help with your car accident claim and pursue the maximum compensation available for their car accident claims.
How Is Fault Determined in a Gastonia Car Accident?
All parties will perform a thorough investigation to determine who is at fault in the accident. Insurance adjusters will look over the vehicles, review reports, and interview witnesses.
Your car accident lawyer will comb through all the evidence available. They may also hire an expert to re-create the accident scene and provide more insight into what happened and who is at fault.
North Carolina Car Accident Laws
It is important to note that North Carolina is a “fault” state (as opposed to a no-fault state) for car accidents. That means you may be entitled to compensation from the other driver if you can prove that they were primarily at fault in causing your accident.
North Carolina law also adheres to “pure contributory negligence,” this means that if you are found even one percent at fault for an accident in Gastonia, you may be denied compensation in many cases.
To determine which applies to your case, having an experienced car accident attorney on your side is essential.
What Type of Compensation are You Entitled to After a Car Accident in Gastonia, NC?
If you are a car accident victim, you not only have to face physical pain, but you and your family may also need to deal with mounting medical bills and emotional burdens.
Your priority during this situation is likely to recover and enjoy your life again. However, to pick yourself up from a tragedy, you’ll need help seeking justice and claiming what you deserve.
Experienced car accident attorneys will first help you decide whether you have enough evidence to pursue a compensation claim. Then, they’ll evaluate any offers you receive and help you determine what to do to pursue a fair settlement, including whether you should consider a car accident lawsuit.
If the other driver was negligent in their actions leading to the collision, you could usually recover compensation from their insurer.
Compensation from car accidents can include:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Mental distress
- Loss of physical or mental abilities
- Lifestyle changes
- Pain and suffering
Many victims of auto accidents opt to go to their insurance providers and try to handle the claim themselves. But, the process of claiming compensation can get messy, especially if you want to recover from your injuries as soon as possible. Most car accident victims get lost in complex insurance policies and end up with less than their fair share of compensation.
During this difficult time in your life, entrust your case to a personal injury attorney who has a proven record of dealing with these types of cases.
How Much Will it Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Gastonia NC?
The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor offers a free consultation which can be done by phone or in person. There are no upfront costs to you. The consultation will help you understand whether we can assist you with your case.
In addition, if we determine we can help you with your car accident case, we work on a contingency fee basis. That means, we don’t get paid until you get paid. Our fee comes out of the settlement we are able to negotiate for you.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Gastonia, please contact The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor. We are here to help you during this difficult time.
Contact our Gastonia Car Accident Attorneys
Our team of personal injury lawyers, investigators and case managers from our offices in Charlotte and Hickory are ready to serve you and can arrange to come to you for your free consultation.