Like most people, dealing with a severe accident can seem daunting. As if dealing with the injuries or property damage weren’t scary enough, you might
If you have been injured in a car accident in or around Fort Mill, SC and are seeking legal assistance, we can help. A car accident can be a traumatic experience, and you may not know where to turn for help.
At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, our car accident attorneys have represented car accident victims in South Carolina since 2005. We force the liable parties to accept the consequences of their actions and provide you with the compensation you are entitled to.
Our team is here for you during this time of uncertainty and stress. There is no cost to you for our initial consultation, and we do not charge any fees unless we win your case.
On This Page
How Common Are Car Accidents in Fort Mill?
Unfortunately, auto accidents are common in Fort Mill, as they are in most other parts. In fact, according to the South Carolina Department of Public Safety, 6,770 car crashes happened in York County in 2019.
While it is impossible to predict when and where an accident will occur, being aware of some of the most common types of accidents is the first step in preventing them from happening to you.
Types of Fort Mill, SC Car Accident Cases That We Handle
Many different types of car accidents can lead to serious injuries. Our firm represents victims of:
- Rear-End Collisions – When a driver is not paying attention or is driving too fast, they may fail to stop in time and rear-end another vehicle. These types of collisions can put the victim at risk for whiplash, neck injuries, and other serious harm.
- T-Bone Accidents – These accidents occur when one car crashes into the side of another vehicle. They often result in serious injuries due to the force of the impact.
- Sideswipe Accidents – It is known as a sideswipe accident when two cars collide while passing each other. This type of crash can lead to various injuries for anyone in either vehicle.
- Head-On Collisions – Head-on collisions are one of the deadliest types of auto accidents and also make up a significant portion of all traffic fatalities. These occur when cars collide while traveling in opposite directions, causing severe damage and injuries.
- Single-Car Accidents – If a driver is speeding, driving while under the influence, or otherwise acting recklessly, they can cause a single-car accident.
Multi-Car Accidents – If several cars are involved in an accident, the driver may be liable if they caused the crash or struck one of the other vehicles.
What are Common Car Accident Injuries
Motor vehicle accidents can result in various serious injuries. However, there are some common types of injuries that arise from these accidents.
Broken Bones and Fractures
A broken bone or fracture is one of the most common types of injury suffered by victims in a motor vehicle collision. Victims suffer fractures during collisions when their bodies collide with the interior of their cars or when they are thrown from vehicles.
The force of a car accident can result in broken bones, even with safety features such as seat belts and airbags.
Brain and Head Injuries
A head injury is one of the most serious types of injuries that can result from a car accident. The force of an impact can cause the brain to collide with the skull, leading to bruising, bleeding, and other types of damage.
Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) can cause life-long effects, and symptoms may not appear for days or weeks after an accident. TBIs include concussions and skull fractures.
Spinal Cord Injuries
The spinal cord is responsible for sending messages between the body and brain. The extent of spinal cord injuries depends on where the damage occurs along the spine and whether it is a fracture or complete break (this type of injury is called a “spinal cord compression”). When there is damage to the spine, it may result in partial or full paralysis.
If you have suffered any type of spinal injury in an accident, it is vital to seek medical care as soon as possible.
Soft Tissue Injuries
Any type of force in a car accident can cause soft tissue damage. Soft tissues include muscles, tendons, and ligaments. These tissues are not as strong as bones, so they can easily become injured in a collision.
What are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents in Fort Mill?
There are many ways that a serious or fatal accident can occur while you’re on the road. The most common causes include:
- Drunk Driving – Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal and incredibly dangerous for everyone on the road.
- Distracted Driving – Drivers who are texting, talking on the phone, eating, or doing anything else that takes their attention away from the road can be dangerous for everyone around them.
- Reckless Driving – Speeding, running red lights, and other types of reckless behavior can lead to serious accidents.
Defective Car Parts – Malfunctioning brakes, steering, or other car parts can lead to accidents.
What to Do When You've Been in a Motor Vehicle Accident in Fort Mill, SC?
It can be incredibly shocking and confusing when you’re involved in any kind of crash. It’s hard to know what to do or say at the time, but certain steps should always be taken after a car accident occurs.
- Call 911 For Help
- Seek Medical Treatment – Even if it doesn’t seem like a serious injury right away. Some injuries don’t present symptoms immediately and could be more severe than they seem.
- Gather Information – If there are any witnesses to the accident, ask them for their contact information so they can be contacted later as part of an investigation.
- Collect Evidence – This includes taking pictures of the scene, getting the names and contact information of all drivers and passengers involved, and writing down what happened in as much detail as you can remember.
- Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer – The other driver may also deny that they were at fault or claim that you were the one who caused the accident. It’s important to have an experienced car accident lawyer on your side to help prove that the other driver was responsible for the crash.
Is It Worth Suing After a Car Crash?
It may be worth it to file a car accident lawsuit in some cases. If the other driver was clearly at fault and you have suffered significant injuries, filing a lawsuit may be the best way to get the compensation you need to cover your costs.
However, every case is different, and it is important to speak with one of our car accident lawyers to determine if filing a lawsuit is the best option for you.
What Are Your Legal Options After a Fort Mill Car Accident?
If you have been injured in an auto accident, you may be wondering what your legal options are. The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor can help you file a personal injury lawsuit and seek the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
There are several types of damages that you may be able to recover as part of your claim, including:
Medical Expenses – Keep copies of your medical records as you may be entitled to compensation for all medical bills, such as hospitalization costs and prescription medication expenses.
Lost Wages – Reimbursement for lost income if you were unable to work due to your injuries. This includes both past and future missed wages.
Pain and Suffering – Financial restitution for any pain or discomfort caused by the accident.
Property Damage – Reimbursement for the cost of repairing or replacing any property that was damaged in the accident, such as your vehicle.
Wrongful Death Damages – If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, it is possible to file a wrongful death claim on their behalf.
How Much Money Can I Expect to Receive in a Fort Mill Car Accident Claim?
How much money you can receive after an automobile accident in Fort Mill will depend on several factors, including your injuries and expenses related to the crash. Our attorneys will be able to provide more information about potential compensation once they have evaluated your case.
Liability and Fault in Fort Mill Car Accident Cases
South Carolina is an at-fault state for car accident cases. This means that the party who caused the crash, or their insurance company, will be held liable for all damages associated with the accident.
When you file a claim after your auto accident, you can seek compensation from any of these parties:
The other driver – If the other driver was negligent and caused the accident, they will be held liable.
The driver’s insurance company – If the other driver is insured, the driver’s insurance company will be responsible for damages.
The manufacturer of a defective car part – If a faulty car part led to the accident, the manufacturer may be held liable for damages.
The company that makes the other driver’s car – If a defect in the vehicle is to blame, you can file a claim against their insurance policy.
Your attorney will investigate your accident and gather evidence of who was at fault so they can fight for compensation from the appropriate parties. It is important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible after your accident so they can begin this process.
Contact our Fort Mill Car Accident Attorneys
The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor can help you seek the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Our law firm understands that this time may be difficult for you and your family, and we are here to assist you with your claim. We have a proven track record of helping our clients secure the compensation they deserve for their injuries.
We can take on insurance companies and negotiate with them to ensure that you receive fair treatment. We are also not afraid to go to trial when it’s in our client’s best interest. Contact us today for your free initial consultation and learn more about what we can do to help you. We will answer your questions and explain all of your legal options.