Concord, NC Bicycle Accidents
Bicycles are no match for the size and speed of automobiles, trucks, and other vehicles on the roadway. When an accident does occur, the bicycle rider is usually the person most likely to sustain injuries.
If you’ve been injured while riding your bicycle, you may be entitled to recover money for the injuries and damages that you sustained. A bicycle accident lawyer can help you get the money you need to cover medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses.
The Benefits of Working with a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Concord
After a bicycle accident, if you find yourself seriously injured, then a lawyer can help you understand your rights and explain the things that an auto insurance company should consider when determining the amount of your settlement. Here are some of the benefits of working with a bicycle accident lawyer in Concord:
- You Have Someone on Your Side: After an accident, you will likely be dealing with an insurance company. Insurance companies are not always looking out for your best interests. They may try to lowball you or deny your claim altogether. Having a lawyer on your side can level the playing field.
- You Increase Your Chances of a Fair Settlement: Lawyers know what an insurance company should be obligated to pay and have the experience in handling other cases to ensure that your settlement is fair when compared to other similar cases that have occurred before yours.
- You Will Save Time and Relieve Stress: Dealing with your injuries and lost time from work is hard enough. Having to deal with an insurance adjuster adds stress and anxiety to a process that takes away from your focus on healing and getting better. Let the attorney take that stress and anxiety away by using their knowledge and experience to deal with the insurance company on your behalf.
If you’re unsure whether or not to hire a lawyer, consider a free no-obligation consultation with one of our Concord bicycle accident attorneys to see if we are the right match for you.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Concord, NC
Some bicycle accidents occur when a bicyclist encounters a road hazard, such as uneven pavement or a bump in the road. Risks that would be barely noticeable if you’re in a car could cause bike riders to lose control of their bicycles.
Other accidents are caused due to driver negligence. Drivers in other vehicles may fail to yield to bicyclists, make unsafe lane changes, or drive while distracted. When drivers act negligently, they put bicyclists at risk of being seriously injured.
Accidents happen, but if you have been wrongfully injured, you shouldn’t have to suffer. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We will review your case and help you decide if pursuing a claim is right for you.
Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bicycle accidents can result in a wide range of injuries. Some common injuries that we see at our office include:
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Broken bones
- Sprains and strains
- Road rash
A bicycle accident injury has the potential to be catastrophic. Because bike riders have no protection from the road, their injuries can be severe.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. After you have seen a doctor, call us. We will review your case and help you understand your legal options.
Does North Carolina Have Laws for Bicycles?
As in most states, cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers. However, there are some laws that bike riders should be aware of.
- Sidewalks: It is illegal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk unless it is explicitly marked as a bike path.
- Yielding to Pedestrians: Like motorists, cyclists must yield to pedestrians and give them the right of way.
- Helmet Law: Only riders under 16 are required to wear a helmet. However, wearing a helmet is a valuable safety practice. Helmets help reduce the severity of injuries in an accident.
- Equipment Requirements: All bicycles must have front and rear lights if the bike is ridden at night. Cyclists must also have a white light on the front of their bike and a red reflector on the rear.
- Bicycling While Impaired: With the rise of bike share programs, more and more people are biking after drinking. It is important to remember that it is illegal to ride a bicycle while impaired.
- Turning and Merging at Intersections: When turning or merging, cyclists must use hand signals to indicate their intentions and wait until it is safe to proceed.
Breaking the law can result in a traffic citation. However, if you are injured in an accident, it could also impact your bicycle accident case. If you have been injured in an accident, contact us today.
Negligence in Concord Bicycle Accident Claims
If you have been injured in a bike accident, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. To recover compensation, you will need to prove that the other party was negligent.
Negligence is when someone fails to act with reasonable care and causes an accident. For example, if a driver runs a red light and hits a bicyclist, the driver would be considered negligent.
Negligence may also be present in other cases. For instance, if a hazardous road condition caused the accident, the city or county responsible for maintaining the roads may be held liable.
Proving negligence can be complicated. It is important to have an experienced bicycle accident attorney on your side. At our office, a personal injury attorney will thoroughly investigate your accident and help you build a strong case.
Recovering Damages in Bicycle Accident Cases
If you are successful in your bicycle accident claim, you may be able to recover a variety of damages. Some common types of damages include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
After the accident, the insurance company will likely contact you and may attempt to settle the claim before knowing the full extent of your injuries. You should not feel pressured to sign anything or settle your case until you have consulted with an attorney who can explain the law and discuss your options. Before you accept any settlement offer or sign any paperwork, call us. We will review the offer and help you decide if it is fair.
Contact Our Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Concord, NC Today
At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we have helped clients in Concord, Charlotte, Hickory, and the surrounding areas to take on insurance companies and recover the compensation they deserve. Our team stands ready to fight for you to obtain a fair settlement, whether by getting the insurance company to agree to a fair value or, if need be, to take the case to a jury to let a jury decide the amount of compensation that you should receive. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.