How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in North Carolina?
Pedestrian accidents are relatively common in North Carolina but happen less frequently in Greenville. According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation, there were over 2,000 pedestrian accidents in the state in 2021. This is an increase of around 5 percent from the previous year. In these accidents, there were nearly 276 fatalities and over 1,800 injuries. In 2021, Greenville had 31 pedestrian accidents, two deaths, and over 30 injuries.
Common Injuries Sustained in a Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrian accidents can lead to various injuries, some of which are very serious. Some common injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Paralysis and semi-paralysis
- Back injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Neck injuries
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Hand injuries
- Loss of limbs (amputations)
Serious injuries often result in high medical bills, missed work, and long-term recovery. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is important to seek legal help immediately.
A Greenville pedestrian accident attorney can assist you in filing a claim and getting the compensation you deserve to help you recover the compensation you need to cover these costs.
What Are Some Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
Most pedestrian accidents occur due to driver negligence. In North Carolina, drivers must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians at crosswalks. Unfortunately, many drivers do not follow this law. Other common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Improper turns
- Defective traffic signals or signage
- Poorly lit streets
- Potholes or other road hazards
What Should I Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Greenville, NC?
The most important step to take after an accident is seeking medical treatment. Pedestrians are at risk for severe injuries and, in some instances, may need immediate medical attention. If you don’t need medical care immediately, it is still important to see a doctor as soon as possible. Some injuries, such as head injuries, may not be immediately apparent.
You should also:
- Gather information about the driver, including their name, contact information, and insurance company
- Get the contact information for any witnesses to the accident
- Take photos of the scene of the accident, your injuries, and any damage to your property
- Call a Greenville pedestrian accident attorney
What Do Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Do?
A pedestrian accident attorney in Greenville, NC, can help you in several ways. They will:
- Investigate the accident to determine who is liable.
- Gather evidence to support your claim, including witness statements, photos of the scene, and medical records.
- Hire experts, such as accident reconstructionists, to support your claim.
- Handle all communication with the insurance company and other parties involved in the case.
- Negotiate a settlement on your behalf or take your case to trial if necessary.
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident, you don’t have to handle it alone. The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor can help you seek justice for your injuries while allowing you to focus on your recovery.
How Much Money Can I Receive in My Claim?
The amount of money you can receive in your pedestrian accident claim will depend on the severity of your injuries and the extent of the damages. Some common types of compensation include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage
- Wrongful death
How Long Do I Have to File a Pedestrian Accident Claim in North Carolina?
It is important to note that there are time limits, known as statutes of limitations, for filing a claim in North Carolina. For most pedestrian accident cases, the statute of limitations is three years from the date of the accident. This means you have three years from the date of the accident to file a claim. If you do not file your claim within this time frame, you will likely be barred from doing so.
Contact our Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Greenville, NC
Contact our office today if you or a loved one has been involved in a pedestrian accident. We will review your case for free and help you understand your legal options. Our experienced Greenville pedestrian accident attorneys will fight to help you secure maximum compensation for your injuries. Call us today to schedule your free consultation.