Greenville is a vibrant city with many activities to offer residents and visitors. The city’s downtown area is home to many shops, restaurants, businesses, and
Being injured in an automobile accident can be devastating. The financial effects alone can be long-lasting, from medical bills piling up to loss of income from your work. Whether you’ve suffered injuries in a car wreck, truck accident, motorcycle accident, or as a cyclist or pedestrian, you have rights.
If you’ve been injured, a car accident lawyer in Greenville can help answer your questions. We know it can be challenging to know who to talk to after an accident. Our team of experienced car accident attorneys will guide you through the next steps and help you get the compensation you deserve for the harm you’ve suffered because of another driver’s negligence.
On This Page
Is It Worth Getting a Lawyer For a Car Accident in Greenville, NC?
Yes, hiring an accident attorney is a good idea following a collision that causes injuries. Sometimes, these injuries are severe and can result in a buildup of medical bills, loss of income or job, and other long-term effects. Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming and confusing. They might try to get you to settle outside of court by offering a small settlement, which rarely covers all your bills. An attorney can help guide you through the process and get you proper compensation, so your life can return to normal.
When and Why Should You Get a Lawyer For a Car Accident?
The right time to hire a car accident lawyer is as soon as possible. Time is of the essence, and hiring someone quickly can help maximize the value of your case. A Greenville car accident lawyer can help you tremendously by gathering the documents needed to support your claim. They will help eliminate the confusion and stress of managing the case and settlement yourself, so you can focus on your recovery.
What Are the Most Common Injuries After a Car Accident in and around Greenville?
Injuries from motor vehicle accidents can range from relatively mild to life-threatening. All most likely require medical treatment. They’re also significant sources of wrongful death in Greenville, North Carolina. Common injuries that occur in automobile accidents include:
- Spinal cord injuries. Spinal cord damage can result in a person being paralyzed. Even if paralysis doesn’t occur, other side effects might include impaired sensation and difficulty moving properly.
- Nerve damage. Swelling and trauma can cause pressure on the nerves, which might result in nerve damage and severe and long-lasting pain. Permanent nerve damage can even affect your mobility.
- Traumatic brain injury. A traumatic brain injury can clear in weeks if it is mild, but moderate and severe traumatic brain injuries can require months or even years of treatment and impair your memory, speech, mobility, and cognition.
- Burns. Severe burns can result in amputation or skin grafting.
- Soft tissue injuries. While many soft tissue injuries heal quickly, a more severe injury might take months to heal or even require surgical treatment.
- Fractures. Broken bones require immediate treatment and can cause long-term mobility issues.
- Lacerations: Deep lacerations can cause severe scarring.
Regardless of the injuries you’ve sustained in your accident, prompt medical care is vital to your recovery. Because another driver is at fault, you can seek compensation for your medical bills.
What Should You Do After a Car Accident in Greenville?
If you’ve been involved in a car accident around Greenville, you can take steps to protect yourself and your future personal injury claim. Never drive away from an accident or the scene, no matter how minor. Here’s what you should do after a car accident:
- Call the police. Even if you have only minor injuries, you might need a police report to file a claim with your insurance company.
- Leave the scene as is. Don’t move vehicles unless they interfere with traffic flow or endanger others on the road.
- Keep a record. To the best of your ability, keeping an accurate record of what happened will help the police file their report. Your insurance company or attorney might also need this information. Document pain, injuries, and statements from witnesses willing to give them. Collect the other driver’s information, including their name, address, and insurance.
- Take pictures. If you’re able to and have a camera or cellphone, take photos of your vehicle and any visible damage. Also take photographs of any visible injuries to yourself. Don’t interfere with the police, though.
- Report the accident. Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Seek medical attention. Prompt care for your injuries is vital for a proper recovery. Even if you don’t have visible injuries, it’s a good idea to have a medical professional check you out. Some injuries aren’t immediately apparent but can be severe.
- Keep a file of documents. This file will help you provide proof to support your claim.
- Reach out to an attorney. Now is the time to consult an attorney.
If you were on the clock during your accident, you might be able to file a workers’ compensation claim, as well. Reach out to a Greenville car accident lawyer to learn about the next steps.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Filing a Car Accident Claim in Greenville?
The statute of limitations for a Greenville car accident is three years. Failing to file a claim during this time means you can no longer do so. It’s important to discuss your case with an attorney as soon as possible to ensure you have sufficient time to proceed in court.
What Is Comparative Negligence, and Why Does It Matter in Greenville?
Comparative negligence is determined by assigning a percentage of fault to each party in an accident. North Carolina is one of the few states that operate under a pure contributory fault standard. This means if you’re at fault for as little as 1% of the accident, you cannot receive compensation. An attorney in Greenville can help determine who was at fault and if the case is worth pursuing in court.
What Kind of Compensation Is Available After a Car Accident?
A skilled personal injury lawyer can help determine the amount of compensation you should seek for damages. If you’re not at fault for the accident, you might be entitled to collect both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include lost wages, loss of future income and employment benefits, current and future medical expenses, and property damage resulting from your accident.
Non-economic damages include compensation for disability, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. Under certain circumstances, our Greenville car accident attorneys may be able to prove your accident happened because of an aggravating factor such as fraud or malice. An auto accident lawyer can help the judge determine who was at fault for your accident to ensure you receive proper compensation. The amount you’re entitled to depends on your injuries and a series of other factors.
You might also seek punitive damages, or damages designed to punish the defendant, especially in cases of gross negligence such as distracted driving, drunk driving, medical malpractice, or product liability.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost in Greenville?
The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor P.C. offer many legal services, including personal injury associated with a car accident, on a contingency fee basis. A contingency fee means you only pay if you receive compensation for your case.
How Long Does a Car Accident Claim Usually Take in Greenville, NC?
While no two cases are the same, the process from the initial filing to a settlement generally takes about six months to complete. You can expect this process to take up to a year if you and your attorney have to sort through a lot of information. If the case goes to trial, it might take up to two years before a decision is made. Civil litigation is slow intentionally to allow both parties due process, or enough time to make the process fair to everyone involved.
Contact our Car Accident Lawyers in Greenville, NC
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in or around Greenville, NC, reach out to the knowledgeable team at the Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor P.C. today. We have the expertise and experience to get you the settlement you deserve. With more than 100 years of combined experience, we know what it takes to fight for fair compensation. Call us or fill out our short contact form and a team member will be happy to answer any questions you have or schedule a consultation.
313 Evans St
Greenville, NC 27858