How Do I Know If I Have a Valid Claim?
All personal injury claims are based on the theory of negligence. To have a valid claim, you must show that the other party was at fault for your injuries. In most pedestrian accident cases, this will involve showing that the driver who hit you was careless or reckless.
Common Examples of Negligence in Hickory Pedestrian Accidents
There are many different ways that a driver can be negligent, but some of the most common examples we see in pedestrian accident cases include:
- Failing to yield the right of way to a pedestrian
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Making an illegal turn
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Distracted driving
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact our office today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced Hickory personal injury lawyers.
Common Types of Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Hickory, NC
Pedestrian accident injuries can range from minor cuts and bruises to serious, life-threatening injuries. Some of the most common types of injuries we see in these cases include:
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal organ damage
- Lacerations and contusions
- Spinal cord injuries
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, they could still be serious. Once a doctor has seen you, contact our office to schedule a free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys.
Steps to Take After a Pedestrian Accident in Hickory
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, there are some important steps you should take to protect your rights:
- Call the police – The police will create a report of the accident, which can be helpful if you decide to file a personal injury claim.
- Get medical attention – Even if your injuries seem minor, it is important to get checked out by a doctor as soon as possible. Some injuries, such as internal bleeding, may not be immediately apparent.
- Gather evidence – Take pictures of the accident scene, your injuries, and any damage to your property if you can. You should also get the contact information of witnesses who saw what happened, even if it’s just a business card. Unfortunately, this information doesn’t always make it to the police report.
- Contact a lawyer – The sooner you contact a lawyer, the better. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights and evidence that may fade or go away with time.
How to Find a Personal Injury Attorney for Your Hickory Pedestrian Accident Case
Finding the right lawyer to handle your case is important if you have been injured in a pedestrian accident. You should look for an attorney with experience handling these cases both in and out of court.
Our law firm serves pedestrian, bicycle, motorcycle and car accident victims. Our attorneys understand the unique challenges that pedestrians face after an accident. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients by negotiating with insurance companies, filing personal injury lawsuits, and trying cases to verdict. We will work tirelessly to get you the compensation you need and deserve.
Why You Should Wait to Talk to the Insurance Company
After the accident, the insurance company will conduct its own investigation. They will send an adjuster to the accident scene and may even contact you to get your side of the story. It is important to remember that insurance companies are businesses whose goal is to pay out as little money as possible on a claim or deny the claim altogether.
Insurance adjusters will likely ask you questions about the accident to get you to say something they can use against you later. For this reason, it is important to have an attorney present when talking to the insurance company.
An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer will know how to deal with insurance companies. At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we know how to deal with insurance companies and fight for our client’s rights. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Determining Liability in Your Hickory Personal Injury Claim
While most pedestrian accidents occur due to driver error, determining who is at fault can be tricky. North Carolina is a contributory negligence state, which means that if you are even a little bit at fault for the accident, you will not be able to recover damages in a personal injury claim.
For example, if you were jaywalking when the accident occurred, the driver may try to argue that you were partially at fault for the accident. However, even if you were jaywalking, the driver may still be liable if they were speeding, running a red light, or otherwise not following the rules of the road.
An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer will know how to investigate your case and determine who is at fault. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation if you have been injured in a pedestrian accident.
Compensation for Hickory Accident Victims
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. The compensation you receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and the circumstances of the accident.
Some of the types of compensation that may be available to you include:
- Medical expenses – This includes current and future medical bills related to your accident.
- Lost wages – If you have been unable to work because of your injuries, you may be able to recover lost wages.
- Pain and suffering – You may be able to recover damages for the physical and emotional pain and suffering caused by the accident.
You Have Limited Time to File Your Claim
In North Carolina, you have a limited time to settle a claim or file a personal injury lawsuit. This is known as the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations for most personal injury claims is three years from the date of the accident. You will likely be barred from recovery if you do not settle your claim or file a lawsuit to preserve the statute of limitations within three years.
Contact Our Hickory Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Today
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, contact our Hickory personal injury lawyers today. At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we have the experience and knowledge to help you get the compensation you deserve. We offer a free consultation, so call us today to schedule yours.