If you have been injured in an accident, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. However, what happens if you are unhappy with your doctor or treatment plan? Can you change doctors during a personal injury case in Hickory? The answer is yes, but there are some things you need to keep in mind.
At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, P.C., our experienced personal injury attorneys have helped many clients get the medical treatment they need after an accident. We understand that choosing the right doctor is important, and we can help you navigate the process. Please get in touch with our office today if you have any questions about changing doctors during a personal injury case.
When Should I Go to the Doctor After My Accident?
You should go to the doctor as soon as possible after your accident. This is important for a few reasons.
- You need to document your injuries.
- If you wait too long to seek medical attention, you may risk getting ahead of any medical problems arising from the accident.
- It may be more challenging to prove that your injuries were caused by the accident.
- You need to begin treatment as soon as possible to improve your chances of a full recovery.
- The doctor will help you understand the extent of your injuries and what kind of treatment you need.
What Type of Doctor Should I See?
Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may need to see:
- Primary Care Provider: Primary care providers are generalists who provide patients with basic care and treatment for their injuries.
- Specialist: If you have more severe injuries, you may need to see a specialist. Specialists are doctors who have completed additional training in a specific area of medicine. For example, if you’ve broken your leg, you may need to see an orthopedic surgeon.
- Therapist: You may also need to see a therapist to help recover from your injuries. Therapists can provide you with physical and occupational therapy; sometimes, you may need a behavioral health provider. They can help you with things such as anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Urgent Care Doctors: Urgent care doctors can provide you with immediate medical attention for your injuries. They can also refer you to a specialist if necessary.
Your personal injury attorney can help you to understand what type of doctor you should see for your injuries. They can also help you to find a doctor in Hickory, North Carolina.
Hickory Personal Injury Claims and Maximum Medical Improvement
In some cases, you may reach maximum medical improvement (MMI) before you’ve had a chance to switch doctors. MMI is the point at which your injuries have healed as much as they are going to, and you are not expected to make any more progress with treatment.
If you reach MMI before you’ve had a chance to switch doctors, you may still be able to seek compensation for your injuries.
Switching Doctors Could Damage Your Personal Injury Claim
If you’re pursuing a personal injury claim, you may want to change your healthcare provider if they’re not sufficiently treating your injuries. However, this can be damaging to your claim. Suppose the new doctor or other medical professional uses the same treatment plan as your previous doctor. In that case, the insurance company may consider the treatment unnecessary and refuse to cover your bills.
Additionally, if you see a new doctor, the insurance company may argue that your current injuries are unrelated to the accident. This is why seeking medical attention immediately after your accident is important.
It’s also important to remember that changing doctors could delay your treatment. If you do decide to change doctors, be sure to consult with your injury attorney first. They can help you to make the best decision for your case.
When Is It Considered Appropriate to Switch Doctors During a Hickory Personal Injury Claim?
If your doctor provides you with a physician referral after extensive treatment, it may be appropriate to switch doctors.
For example, suppose you’ve been seeing a doctor for pain after the accident, and your condition is not improving. In that case, they may refer you to another physician or specialist to explore other forms of treatment.
Keep in mind that if you need to change doctors, you may need to provide proof that the switch was medically necessary. Your personal injury attorney can help you to gather the necessary documentation.
How to Find a Doctor in Hickory, North Carolina
If you don’t have a regular doctor or are unhappy with your current doctor, there are a few ways to find a new one.
- You can ask your friends or family for recommendations. You can also contact a local medical society or hospital.
- Once you have found a few potential doctors, you can research their experience and credentials to ensure they are a good fit for you.
If you have questions about changing doctors during a personal injury case, please contact the Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, P.C. today. We can help you to understand your rights and options under the law.
The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, P.C. is a personal injury law firm in North Carolina that represents clients injured in car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, and more. We offer free consultations, so please call us today to schedule a meeting with an attorney.