If you have been in a car accident, you should hire a car accident lawyer. Car accidents can be very traumatic, and it is important to have someone on your side who understands the law and can help you navigate the legal process. In addition, a good lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, our Greenville car accident lawyers have years of experience helping car accident victims get the compensation they deserve. We will work with the insurance company to ensure that you are fairly compensated for your losses. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Why Should I Hire a Greenville Auto Accident Lawyer?
A car accident lawyer knows the law and can help you recover compensation. Car accident lawyers typically have experience with personal injury cases and understand the process of filing a claim. They can also help you negotiate with insurance companies to get the best possible settlement.
What to Do After a Car Accident
It is important to stay calm after a car accident. Panicking can make the situation worse and can lead to further injuries. If you are injured, try to remain still until help arrives.
Seek Medical Attention
If you have been in a car accident, you should first seek medical treatment. Even if you don’t feel injured, it is important to get checked out by a doctor. Many injuries don’t show up right away, so it is best to be safe than sorry.
Call the Police
If you are in a car accident, it is important to call the police. They will come to the scene and file a report. This report can be beneficial when filing a claim.
If you are able, collect evidence at the scene of the accident. This can include photos of the damage, witness statements, and your statement.
Contact Your Insurance Company
You should also contact your insurance company as soon as possible. They will need to investigate the accident and may want to speak to you about it. It is important to cooperate with them, but you should also have a car accident lawyer by your side to make sure your rights are protected.
Contact a Greenville Car Accident Lawyer
An experienced lawyer can help you file a claim and get the compensation you deserve. You may be entitled to money for medical bills, property damage, and pain and suffering.
What a Greenville Accident Attorney Can Do for You
Help You Understand Your Rights
Our Greenville car accident attorneys are well versed in North Carolina law. We will inform you of your rights and do everything possible to protect them. Here is a summary of some of the most important rights you have:
- The Right to an Attorney – You have the right to an attorney to protect your interests in a car accident claim.
- The Right to a Fair Settlement – It is important that you receive a fair settlement for your damages. A Greenville accident lawyer will make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- The Right to a Trial by Jury – If your case goes to court, you have the right to have your case decided by a jury of your peers.
Assess the Extent of Your Damages
After a car accident, it is important to have your car assessed by a mechanic to determine the extent of the damage. A Greenville accident lawyer can help you get this done and evaluate any other damages you may have suffered, such as medical bills due to injuries sustained in the accident, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Investigate Your Case
A Greenville accident lawyer will investigate the case to determine who is at fault for the accident. This may involve looking at:
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Evidence from the accident scene
File a Claim with the Insurance Company
It is important to file a claim with the insurance company as soon as possible after the accident. A Greenville accident lawyer will handle communication with your insurance company and the other party’s insurer so you can focus on recovering.
Help You Get Medical Treatment
Some car accidents result in serious injuries. A lawyer will work with your doctors and insurance company to ensure that you get the care you need.
File a Lawsuit if Necessary
If the insurance company does not offer a fair settlement, or if they deny your claim altogether, you may need to file a lawsuit. A Greenville accident lawyer can help you file a lawsuit represent you in court.
What to Expect During Your Consultation
At the Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we offer free consultations. Your lawyer will ask you questions about the accident and your injuries during your consultation. We will also discuss your legal options and what we can do to help you.
It’s important to remember that you are not obligated to hire a lawyer. You can take time to think about it and discuss it with your family. If you decide to hire a lawyer, they will begin work on your case immediately.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Greenville
Many factors can contribute to a car accident. Some of the most common causes include:
- Distracted driving includes texting, talking on the phone, and eating.
- Drunk driving – Alcohol, and drugs impair your ability to drive safely, increasing the likelihood of an accident.
- Speeding – When drivers speed, they are more likely to lose control of their car.
- Reckless driving includes passing on the wrong side of the road and tailgating.
Common Car Accident Injuries
A car accident injury can vary from minor to severe. Some common injuries include:
- Cuts and bruises – Cuts and bruises are caused by the impact of the collision, which can damage the blood vessels under the skin.
- Broken bones – A broken bone is a serious injury in a car accident. It requires immediate medical attention and can often require surgery to heal properly.
- Traumatic brain injuries can be very serious and can cause long-term damage.
- Spinal cord injuries – A spinal cord injury is a severe and life-changing injury that can occur in a car accident. It occurs when the spine is damaged, which can cause paralysis.
- Whiplash – A neck injury that can occur in a car accident. It is caused by the sudden jerking of the head, which can damage the muscles and ligaments in the neck.
- Concussion – An injury that occurs after head and brain injuries. It is caused when the head is suddenly jarred, which can cause the brain to swell or bleed
Damages You Can Receive in a Car Accident Case
Car accident cases can result in many different types of damages, including:
- Medical Bills – If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to money for medical bills. This includes both past and future medical expenses.
- Property Damage – If your car was damaged in the accident, you may be able to receive compensation for repairs or replacement.
- Pain and Suffering – You may also be entitled to money for pain and suffering. This is a non-economic damage, which means it is not based on actual expenses.
- Loss of Income – If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you may be able to receive compensation for lost wages. This includes both past and future income.
- Wrongful Death Cases – If someone died due to a car accident, the victim’s family may be able to receive compensation.
Factors that Impact Your Greenville Car Accident Claim
The amount of money you are entitled to in a car accident claim depends on many factors, including:
- The severity of your injuries – The more severe your injuries, the more money you may be entitled to.
- The extent of property damage – If your car was severely damaged in the accident, you may be entitled to a higher settlement.
- The amount of insurance coverage – If the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your damages, you may be able to receive compensation from your own insurance company, as well as file a lawsuit against the negligent party for extra damages.
- Statute of limitations – The statute of limitations is the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit. In North Carolina, the statute of limitations for car accident cases is three years.
- Contributory Negligence in North Carolina – If you are found to be even partially at fault in North Carolina, you cannot receive any compensation for your damages.
Speak with a Greenville Car Accident Attorney Today
According to the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles, over 3,oo0 car accidents occurred in Greenville in 2019. If you have been injured in a North Carolina or South Carolina car accident due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you deserve fair compensation for your injuries.
Our auto accident attorneys have experience with all personal injury cases, including car accidents. We are not afraid to take on insurance companies to help you obtain fair compensation. We value the attorney-client relationship and will work tirelessly to protect your rights.
Contact an experienced car accident lawyer today for your free initial consultation and learn more about what we can do to help you. We will answer your questions and explain all of your legal options.