When a car accident happens in Charlotte, there is a good chance that you will need to file a claim for damages to your car or for injuries that you sustained in the wreck. One insurance company that handles a large number of claims in Charlotte is Progressive insurance. Progressive may have funny commercials on tv, but they are not always funny and easy to deal with when it comes to making a claim.
Insurance companies make money by taking in more dollars in premiums than they pay out in claims. The job of the adjuster is to minimize the amount they pay out to you for your claim.
If you’ve been in an accident in Charlotte, the lawyers at The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor can explain your rights and help you maximize your recovery for the injuries and damages you sustained.
Common Reasons that Progressive Insurance Denies Claims
Progressive is one of the largest insurance companies in the United States. When a claim is presented, Progressive may accept responsibility for all or part of your damages or they can deny the claim and pay nothing to you. Learning that Progressive denied your claim is alarming, especially when your medical bills and costs are stacking up.
A denial may make you feel like there’s nothing else you can do to recover compensation for your damages. At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, our experienced attorneys can investigate further to determine if there is a way to present evidence sufficient to change the adjuster’s mind and reverse the insurance company’s earlier denial of your claim. The main reasons that claims are denied might include the following:
- You Were At Fault – In North Carolina, if the insurance company can show that you contributed to the wreck by your own actions, then you are prevented from making any recovery under the doctrine of contributory negligence. This is true even if your level of fault is minor compared to the fault of the other driver. Things like speeding or minor issues are often used to try to deny claims. Sometimes these denials can be turned around through favorable eyewitness testimony, which is why it is important to hire a lawyer to investigate the claim.
2. Customers Engaged in Illegal Activity – According to North Carolina law, Progressive and other insurers do not have to pay out damage claims when drivers are engaged in illegal activity when the accident occurs. Progressive can legally deny claims when drivers violate the terms of their insurance agreement or they violate state law.
Other Reasons Progressive May Deny Your Claim
Progressive may also deny claims when:
- The accident was not immediately reported to Progressive or the police
- Information was intentionally or unintentionally misrepresented when getting a quote
- The injured party did not seek medical attention after the accident. This gives insurers a reason to believe that any injuries were not caused by the accident.
Settling with Progressive
If Progressive has denied your claim or does not offer you a fair settlement for your damages, then you have the option to file a lawsuit. If your claim has been denied, then you should consult with an attorney to determine if there is evidence to support the filing of a lawsuit to hold Progressive accountable.
If a settlement offer is made and you accept that offer, then you forfeit the right to claim damages for anything that happens in the future. Settlements are intended to be a full and final resolution of the matter so you need to be sure that you have accounted for all of your injuries and damages when you settle your case.
An experienced attorney can make sure that all past, present, and future medical expenses are accounted for in the settlement. At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we will help you determine if you have a valid case for compensation and strategize with you to find the best way to pursue compensation for your case.
The Experienced Attorneys at The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor Know How to Negotiate with Progressive Insurance
The attorneys at the Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor know how to negotiate with Progressive Insurance and get you the compensation that you deserve. We have the skills and resources to negotiate with Progressive Insurance successfully, and we will work hard to get you a fair settlement. If you’ve been injured in an accident with a Progressive-insured driver and are seeking compensation for your injuries, contact our Charlotte car accident attorneys today for a free consultation.