If you were recently involved in a car accident in Charlotte, and the other driver’s insurance policy is with Progressive, you may be considering filing a compensation claim. Unfortunately, like all insurance companies, dealing with Progressive after an accident is not easy and often adds more stress to your plate while you attempt to recover from your injuries. In most cases, the insurance adjuster may try to settle for less than your claim is worth or even deny your claim altogether.
If you’ve been in an accident in Charlotte, you shouldn’t have to handle your insurance claim alone. At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, our experienced car accident attorneys can explain your rights and represent your interests with the Progressive adjuster. We will gladly take charge of your claim and fight for fair compensation. Contact us today to get started on your case.
Common Reasons that Progressive Insurance Denies Claims
Progressive is one of the largest insurance companies in the United States. However, it does not mean that it doesn’t deny claims. Learning that Progressive denied your claim could be worrying, especially when your medical bills and costs are stacking up.
The denial may make you feel like there’s nothing else you can do to recover compensation for your damages. At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we have extensive experience helping our Charlotte clients appeal Progressive’s decision, and we can advise you on all your legal options.
- You Were At Fault – In North Carolina, if you are only 1% at fault for causing your accident, you will not be able to recover with a personal injury claim. Therefore, if you were in a car crash and the police officer marked both you and the other driver at fault, it is likely that Progressive will deny your claim. Sometimes these denials can be turned around through favorable eyewitness testimony, which is why it is important to hire a lawyer to investigate the claim.
2. Customers Engaged in Illegal Activity – According to North Carolina law, Progressive and other insurers do not have to pay out damage claims when drivers are engaged in illegal activity when the accident occurs. Progressive can legally deny claims when drivers violate the terms of their insurance agreement or they violate state law.
Other Reasons Progressive May Deny Your Claim
Progressive may also deny claims when:
- The accident was not immediately reported to Progressive or the police
- Information was intentionally or unintentionally misrepresented when getting a quote
- The injured party did not seek medical attention after the accident. This gives insurers a reason to believe that any injuries were not caused by the accident.
Settling with Progressive
If Progressive has denied your claim or does not offer you a fair settlement for your damages, you have the option to file a lawsuit against them. North Carolina law establishes a limited period in the aftermath of a car accident in which the injured person can file a lawsuit for financial damages.
While it may be possible to resolve your claim out of the courtroom in a negotiated settlement, it is always wise to speak with an attorney about your insurance claim as soon as possible after an accident to avoid any potential issues with the lawsuit filing deadline.
All your damages must be included in your demand to maximize your settlement. This means you will likely need to complete medical treatment before requesting compensation. Insurance companies, Progressive included, try to get accident victims to settle their cases too soon and often before they’ve finished treatment. They use this tactic to reduce the compensation Progressive has to pay out on behalf of the insured.
Once you settle, you forfeit your right to any additional compensation you may have been entitled to. At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we will help you determine if you have a valid case for compensation and strategize with you to find the best way to pursue compensation for your case.
The Experienced Attorneys at The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor Know How to Negotiate with Progressive Insurance
Progressive insurance is a large company that handles millions of claims every year. Like most insurance providers, their policies can often be confusing and difficult to understand. That’s why it’s important to have an experienced attorney on your side when dealing with them.
The attorneys at the Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor know how to negotiate with Progressive Insurance and get you the best possible result. We have the skills and resources to negotiate with Progressive Insurance successfully, and we will work hard to get you a fair settlement. If you’ve been injured in an accident with a Progressive-insured driver and are seeking compensation for your injuries, contact our Charlotte car accident attorneys today for a free consultation.