Many South Carolinians wonder when is the right time to hire a lawyer. You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident. This will give them time to investigate the accident and gather evidence. If you wait too long, evidence may be lost, or witnesses may forget what happened.
If you’ve been injured in an accident in Columbia, contact The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor today for a free consultation. We can help determine if hiring a car accident attorney is your best option.
South Carolina Auto Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were over 121,000 collisions in South Carolina.
Of those accidents:
- 964 were fatal crashes with 1,066 fatalities
- 45,378 resulted in fatalities
- 10,617 occurred in Richland County, with 49 deaths and almost 4,000 injuries
- 6,787 occurred in Lexington County, with 42 deaths and over 2,000 injuries
Unfortunately, car accidents are a common occurrence throughout South Carolina and Columbia. You are not alone if you are in a situation where you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in a car crash. Contact The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor today to see how we can help you.
Common Causes of Columbia Motor Vehicle Accidents
Many different factors can contribute to a car accident. Some of the most common causes of accidents in Columbia include:
- Distracted Driving: With the increase in technology, drivers have more distractions than ever. From texting to using GPS, paying attention to the road is essential.
- Speeding: Speed is a factor in many accidents. Drivers who are speeding are less likely to be able to stop in time or avoid an accident.
- Driving Under the Influence: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is never a good idea. Not only is it illegal, but it can also lead to dangerous accidents.
- Reckless Driving: Reckless driving includes running red lights, tailgating, and weaving in and out of traffic. These behaviors put other drivers at risk.
- Weather Conditions: Bad weather can make driving more difficult and lead to accidents. If you can, avoid driving in bad weather whenever possible.
If you have been involved in an accident, contact The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor today. We can help you investigate the cause of the accident and hold the responsible party accountable.
Is It Worth Getting a Columbia Car Accident Lawyer?
Deciding whether it’s worth it to get a lawyer for your case is a personal decision. Some people choose to handle their own case, while others hire a lawyer. There are a few things you should consider when making your decision:
- The Severity of Your Injuries: If you’ve suffered any injuries that require medical treatment, it’s important to have an experienced lawyer on your side. They can help you get the compensation you deserve.
- The Cost of Hiring a Lawyer: Many people worry about the cost of hiring a lawyer. However, most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis. That means you don’t have to pay anything upfront.
- The Statute of Limitations: In South Carolina, you must file a personal injury claim three years from the accident date. If you wait too long, you may be unable to get compensation.
If you’re unsure whether hiring a lawyer is worth it, contact The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor today. We can help you understand your options and make the best decision for your case.
How Do I Know If I Have a Valid Claim?
Not every car accident will result in a personal injury claim. To have a valid claim, you must prove that the other driver was at fault for the accident. You will also need to show that you suffered some injury from the accident.
To help prove your case, you may need:
- Medical records: Documentation of your injuries will be necessary in proving your case.
- Police reports: The police report can help to establish what happened and who was at fault.
- Witness statements: If there are any witnesses to the accident, get their contact information. Their testimony can help corroborate the facts of what happened.
- Photographs: Photographs of the accident scene, your injuries, and the damage to your vehicle can help prove your case.
The Process of Filing a Columbia Car Accident Claim
Filing a claim can be complicated, but an experienced lawyer can help. Here’s a brief overview of the process:
- Investigating the Accident: The first step is to investigate the accident. This includes things like talking to witnesses and gathering evidence.
- Filing a Claim: Once you’ve gathered all the necessary evidence, you’ll need to file a claim with the insurance company. The insurance company will then investigate the accident and determine how much money you’re entitled.
- Negotiating a Settlement: If the insurance company denies your claim or offers a low settlement, you may need to negotiate with them. An experienced lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve.
The process of filing a claim can be complicated. That’s why it’s important to have an experienced Columbia, SC, car accident attorney on your side.
Fault For Car Accidents In Columbia, South Carolina
In South Carolina, drivers are required to follow the rules of the road. This includes things like obeying traffic signals and yield signs. If a driver breaks the law and causes an accident, they may be found at fault.
South Carolina follows a modified comparative negligence system. This means that if you’re 50% or less at fault for causing your crash, you will still be able to recover compensation for your injuries.
For example, let’s say you’re rear-ended at a stop light. The other driver was speeding and didn’t have time to stop. However, you did not have your seatbelt on and when you were hit, the crash caused your head to hit the windshield of your car and your injuries were more severe than if you had been wearing your seatbelt. . Under South Carolina’s comparative system, you may still be able to recover compensation as long as your percentage of fault was 50% or less.
Determining fault for the accident is critical to your claim. An experienced car accident attorney will help you gather evidence and build a strong enough case to prove your claim.
The Insurance Company Is Not On Your Side
The insurance company is not on your side. Their goal is to minimize the money they have to pay out. The insurance adjuster may try to get you to settle your case quickly and for less money than it’s worth. They may also try to get you to say things that will damage your case.
A lawyer will be able to protect you from the insurance company. They will handle all communication with the insurance company, so you don’t have to. They will also make sure you don’t say anything that could damage your case.
Liability and South Carolina Auto Insurance Laws
In South Carolina, all drivers are required to have auto insurance. You must have a minimum coverage of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. If you’re involved in an accident, the other driver’s insurance company should pay for your damages. However, sometimes the insurance company will try to deny your claim.
A lawyer will be able to help you get the compensation you deserve. They will also be able to help you if the other driver was uninsured or underinsured. Don’t go up against the insurance company alone. Contact The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor today to get started on your case.
Damages Available in a Columbia Car Crash Case
You may be entitled to compensation if you’ve been injured in a car accident. The compensation you receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and the damages you’ve suffered. Some of the most common types of damages include:
If you’ve been injured in an accident, you may be able to get compensated for your medical bills. This includes hospital bills, doctor’s visits, and medication costs.
If you’ve been injured in an accident, you may be unable to work. This can lead to lost wages. You may be able to get compensated for the wages you’ve lost as a result of the accident.
Pain and Suffering
In some cases, you may be able to get compensated for the pain and suffering you’ve endured. This compensation is intended to help you with the physical and emotional trauma caused by the accident.
How much money you will receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and the damages you’ve suffered. Contact The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor today to learn more about what your case may be worth.
How Long Does a Car Accident Claim Take to Settle?
The amount of time it takes to settle a car accident claim varies. It depends on the severity of your injuries and the insurance company’s willingness to cooperate. In some cases, claims can be settled within a few months. In other cases, they may take years to resolve.
An experienced lawyer will be able to help you get the compensation you deserve promptly. They will also be able to help you if your claim is taking longer than expected to settle.
How Long After an Accident Can You Sue in South Carolina?
In South Carolina, you have three years to file a personal injury lawsuit. This means you have three years from the date of the accident to take legal action against the at-fault driver.
If you don’t file a lawsuit within this period, you may be unable to recover any compensation for your injuries. That’s why it’s essential to contact an experienced lawyer immediately after the accident.
Experienced Car Accident Lawyers in Columbia, SC You Can Trust
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next. Contact the Columbia car accident lawyers at The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor today for a free consultation. We will review your case and help you understand your legal options. We’re here to help you get the compensation you deserve.
No one should go through the aftermath of a car accident alone. Let us help you get started on your road to recovery today.