What to do After a Motorcycle Accident if You Don’t Have Insurance in Rock Hill, SC

What to do After a Motorcycle Accident if You Don't Have Insurance in Rock Hill, SC

Rock Hill is the largest city in York County and the fifth-largest city in the state. With over 117,375 South Carolinians, Rock Hill offers its residents and visitors many amenities, including various parks and recreation facilities, an award-winning school district, and a thriving business community. If you’re a motorcycle rider in the city, it’s important to know what to do in the event of an accident.

At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we have years of experience helping motorcycle accident victims seek justice for their injuries. If you don’t have insurance, we can help you explore your options and work to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact a Rock Hill motorcycle accident lawyer today for a free consultation.

How to Protect Yourself After a Motorcycle Accident With No Insurance in Rock Hill, SC

You can do a few things to protect yourself after a motorcycle accident if you do not have insurance. First, it is important that you seek medical attention right away, even if you think your injuries are minor. This will ensure that you get the treatment you need and document your injuries in case you need to file a personal injury claim later.

Second, you should try to get the contact information of any witnesses to the accident. These witnesses can provide valuable testimony about what happened and who was at fault.

Third, you should take photos of the scene of the accident, as well as any damage to your motorcycle or your injuries. This documentation can be helpful if you need to file an insurance claim with the other driver’s insurance company.

Finally, you should contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you navigate the claims process and fight for the compensation you deserve. At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we can help you if the other driver does not have insurance or if the insurance company denies your claim.

Motorcycle Insurance is Required in South Carolina

South Carolina motorists are required to carry liability insurance that meets the following minimums:

Bodily Injury (BI) – $25,000 per person/ $50,000 per accident. BI pays for the other party’s medical bills when you cause the accident. This policy also covers legal expenses if the other driver sues you.

Property Damage (PD) – $25,000 per accident. PD pays for damage to the other vehicle when you cause the accident. However, it will not pay for damage to your vehicle.

Having these minimum requirements is extremely important. If you are found at fault for an accident without these minimums, you could be liable for the other person’s damages. Additionally, if the injured party decides to sue you, you will also be responsible for your own legal fees.

The Importance of Uninsured(UM)/Underinsured(UIM) Motorist Coverage in South Carolina

South Carolina drivers must also carry uninsured motorist coverage (UM) in the minimum-coverage car insurance policy. Drivers must carry a minimum UM bodily injury coverage of $25,000 per person/$50,000 per accident. 

South Carolina also requires auto insurers to offer you underinsured motorist coverage (UIM), but you are not required to purchase it. UIM coverage can bridge the gap when an at-fault driver has insurance, but their policy limits are not large enough to cover all of your damages. With UIM coverage you can make a claim with your insurer to cover the remainder of your damages.

Your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will pay for your medical bills and lost wages if an uninsured driver hits you or if an underinsured driver’s policy doesn’t cover the full amount of your expenses. This coverage will also cover damages for a hit-and-run accident. If the other driver doesn’t have insurance or their policy isn’t sufficient to cover your damages, you can file a claim with your own insurance company.

Who Pays for My Medical Expenses If I Don’t Have Insurance?

One of the biggest concerns after a motorcycle accident is how you will pay for your medical expenses. If you do not have insurance, you may be worried that you will have to pay for your own medical bills.

However, a few options are available to help cover your medical expenses after an accident. First, if the other driver was at fault for the accident, their insurance company may be responsible for paying your medical bills. If the other driver does not have insurance or if their insurance company denies your claim, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against the driver to recover your medical expenses.

Another option is using your own health insurance to pay your medical bills. You will likely have to pay for your own deductible, but your health insurance should cover the rest of your medical expenses.

Get Help From a Rock Hill, SC Lawyer for Your Motorcycle Accident Claim

If you were in a motorcycle accident, it is important to get help from an experienced attorney. The Rock Hill motorcycle accident lawyers at The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor have years of experience handling these types of cases.

We value the attorney-client relationship and will work tirelessly to protect your rights, and we will do everything we can to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.

Subscribe to Monthly Newsletter