According to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles, over 3,000 auto accidents occurred in Greenville in 2019. If you are in a car accident, the most important thing is to stay calm. Many people panic after an accident, which can lead to further problems. After you have calmed down, there are a few things that you need to do to protect yourself and make sure the situation is handled correctly.
At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we understand how traumatizing car accidents can be. Our car accident attorneys have represented car accident victims in North Carolina since 2005. We are here to help if you need legal assistance after an auto accident. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Call the Police
The police will create an official report of the accident. This can be helpful if you need to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit later on. The police can also help clear the accident scene and make sure that everyone is safe.
Seek Medical Treatment
If you are injured in a car accident, getting medical attention as soon as possible is important. Even if your injuries seem minor, you should still see a doctor or go to the emergency room. Some injuries, such as whiplash, may not show symptoms immediately. It is important to get checked out by a medical professional to document your injuries and start the process of recovery.
Document the Scene
After you have called the police and sought medical attention, you should start documenting the accident. This can be helpful if you need to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit later on.
It would help if you took pictures of the scene of the accident, as well as any damage to your vehicle. You should also gather the contact information of any witnesses to the accident. You should also record a video of the accident scene if you can.
Exchange Information With the Other Driver
You will need to exchange information with the other driver. Get their
- Phone number
- Email address
- Insurance information
You should also take a picture of their insurance card with your phone.
Do Not Admit Fault
When talking to the police or the other driver, do not admit fault for the accident. It is best to wait for a Greenville car accident lawyer. They will handle negotiations with the insurance company and advise you throughout the legal process
Call Your Insurance Company
You will need to call your insurance company and tell them that you have been in an accident. They will usually have you file a claim, and they will send an adjuster to look at the damage to your car.
Do Not Sign Anything Without Speaking to an Attorney
The other driver’s insurance company may try to get you to sign a release of liability. Do not sign this form without speaking to an attorney first. It is important to protect your rights after an accident.
Contact a Greenville Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible. An experienced car accident lawyer will help you file a claim and get the compensation you deserve.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can cause various injuries, some of which are serious. Some common car accident injuries include:
- Back Injuries
- Neck Injuries
- Broken Bones
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to seek medical attention right away.
Factors That Impact Your Car Accident Case
Several factors can impact your car accident case. Some of the most important include:
- The Type of Injury You Sustain – If you have suffered a serious injury, you will likely receive more compensation than if you have suffered minor injuries.
- The Amount of Property Damage – The amount of property damage can also impact your case. If there is severe damage to your car, you will likely receive more compensation.
- The Insurance Policy Limits – If the other driver has a low insurance policy limit, you may not be able to receive full compensation for your damages. If this is the case, you may be able to sue for the extra damages.
- The Statute of Limitations in North Carolina – You have three years to file a car accident lawsuit in North Carolina.
- Contributory Negligence – If you are found to be even partially at fault for the accident, you will not be able to receive any compensation.
Many factors can impact the amount of compensation you receive after a car wreck. It is important to speak to an experienced car accident lawyer to discuss your case.
Damages You Can Recover After a Car Crash
If you are injured in a car accident, you can recover various damages. These damages may include:
- Medical Bills – You can recover the cost of all medical bills related to the accident. This includes bills for hospitalization, surgery, doctor visits, and prescriptions.
- Lost Wages – If you cannot work because of your injuries, you can recover the wages you have lost. This includes both past and future wages.
- Pain and Suffering – You can also recover damages for the pain and suffering you have endured due to the accident.
- Emotional Distress – If you have suffered emotional distress due to the accident, you can also recover damages.
If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to speak to an experienced car accident lawyer to find out what damages you may be able to recover.
Call the Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor to Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Greenville Car Accident Attorney Today
Car accidents can happen at any time, and if you have been injured in one due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, you deserve fair compensation for your injuries. Our Greenville car accident lawyers take on insurance companies and negotiate with them to ensure that you receive fair treatment. We are also not afraid to go to trial when it’s in our client’s best interest.
Contact us today for your free initial consultation and learn more about what we can do to help you. We will answer your questions and explain all of your legal options.