The wind in your hair and the sun on your face is among the best feelings in the world. There’s nothing more satisfying than riding your bike down I-85 or taking a trip to Crowders Mountain. But as any Charlottean knows, the city can be dangerous for motorcyclists.
Before you hit the road in Charlotte, NC, it is important to know the dangers of riding a bike. At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we’ve handled many personal injury cases, and we want to ensure that you are as safe as possible while enjoying the freedom of the open road. If you’ve been in an accident, contact one of our motorcycle accident attorneys in Charlotte, NC for a free consultation today.
Here are some motorcycle safety tips for Charlotte, NC:
Wear a DOT-Approved Helmet: In North Carolina, all riders are required to wear a helmet that meets the standards the US Department of Transportation sets. Motorcycle riders have significantly less protection from the road than passengers of other motor vehicles. Wearing a helmet is the best way to protect yourself from a motorcycle injury. A helmet can protect your head in the event of an accident and could even save your life.
Wear Protective Gear: In addition to a helmet, you should also wear protective clothing such as gloves, boots, and a jacket. This will help reduce the risk of injuries if you are involved in an accident.
Be Visible: You should do everything you can to make yourself visible to other drivers. Wear bright colors or reflective gear, and use your headlights, even during the daytime.
Ride Defensively: Unfortunately, not all drivers are aware of motorcycles on the road. To help prevent accidents, always ride defensively and be prepared for other drivers to make mistakes.
Obey the Speed Limit: Speeding is one of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents. Obey the speed limit and always ride at a speed that is safe for the conditions.
Be Aware of Your Surroundings: Pay attention to what is happening around you. Watch for cars changing lanes or making sudden turns.
Avoid Riding in Bad Weather: If the weather is bad, it is best to avoid riding altogether. If you must ride in the rain or snow, take extra precautions and go slowly.
How Common Are Motorcycle Accidents in Charlotte, NC?
According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation, there were over 3,000 motorcycle accidents in the state in 2020. Of those accidents, 270 occurred in Mecklenburg County, with 13 fatalities and 254 non-fatal injuries.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Charlotte, NC
So what are the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in Charlotte? Speeding is one of the leading causes, followed by alcohol use, failure to yield the right of way, and lane splitting. Let’s take a closer look at each of these.
- Speeding: Riding a motorcycle is all about enjoying the wind in your face and the freedom of the open road. But that doesn’t mean you should race down the highway. In fact, speeding is one of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents. Obey the posted speed limit and take it slow in unfamiliar areas.
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving is a problem for all drivers, but it can be especially dangerous for motorcycle riders. When you’re on a bike, you need to be extra aware of your surroundings. Put away your phone and stay focused on the road.
- Alcohol Use: Alcohol use is another leading cause of motorcycle accidents. If you’re going to drink, don’t ride. It’s as simple as that.
- Failure to Yield the Right of Way: Motorcycles have the same rights and responsibilities as other vehicles on the road. That means you need to yield the right of way when appropriate and be aware of other drivers who may not see you.
- Lane Splitting: Lane splitting is when a motorcycle rider drives between two lanes of traffic, usually when traffic is stopped or moving slowly. It may seem like a good way to get ahead, but it’s actually very dangerous. If you must lane split, do so with extreme caution.
Following these motorcycle safety tips can help keep yourself safe on the road. Ride safely!
What Should I Do If I’m In a Motorcycle Accident in Charlotte, NC?
If you or someone you love is involved in a motorcycle accident in Charlotte, NC, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s always best to get checked out by a doctor.
After seeing a doctor, the next step is contacting a motorcycle accident lawyer. If your accident was caused due to the negligence of another driver, you might be eligible to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and more. An experienced lawyer will be able to help you navigate the legal process and get the compensation you deserve.
Need a Lawyer? Contact a Charlotte, North Carolina Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
Sometimes accidents are inevitable. Whether caused by driver negligence or weather conditions, it is important to know your legal options and get help from an experienced attorney if you are in a motorcycle accident. The Charlotte attorneys at The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor have years of experience handling personal injury cases, including motorcycle accidents in North and South Carolina.
We value the attorney-client relationship and will work tirelessly to protect your rights, and we will do everything we can to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. If you choose to hire us, there are no upfront costs, and you won’t have to pay any attorney fees unless your case is successful. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.