Greenville is a vibrant city with many activities to offer residents and visitors. The city’s downtown area is home to many shops, restaurants, businesses, and East Carolina University. Downtown Greenville is also the site of the Greenville Convention Center, which hosts various events throughout the year. The city is also home to numerous parks and recreation facilities, including the Greenville Zoo and the River Park North nature preserve. Greenville has something for everyone of all ages.
If you were injured in an accident in Greenville, you’re likely to have many questions. One question you might have is whether or not you can change doctors during your personal injury case. The answer to this question depends on a few factors, which we’ll discuss in more detail below.
The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor is committed to helping people who the negligence of others has injured. It’s important to have an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you choose the right doctor and ensure that your medical records are appropriately documented. If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident, contact us for a free consultation.
Our team of experienced personal injury lawyers is here to help you get the compensation you deserve. We serve clients throughout North Carolina, including Greenville, Asheville, Charlotte, and Wilmington.
The Importance of Seeking Medical Treatment After an Accident in Greenville, NC
If you are injured in an accident, it is important to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. This is true for many reasons.
Evidence For Your Personal Injury Claim
One of the most important reasons to seek medical attention immediately after an accident is that it will provide evidence for your injury claim. When you see a doctor, they will document your injuries and how they were caused by the accident. This documentation can be used as evidence in your case and ensure your right to get your medical bills paid.
Getting the Treatment You Need
Another reason to seek medical attention after an accident is that you may need treatment for your injuries. Some injuries, such as broken bones, require immediate medical attention. Other injuries, such as whiplash, may not be immediately apparent but can still cause severe pain and discomfort. By seeing a doctor, you can get the treatment you need to help you recover from your injuries.
Reasons You May Want to Switch Doctors
There are a few reasons why you may want to switch doctors after an accident.
- You are not getting the medical care you need from your current doctor. If your injuries are not properly treated, they can impact your recovery and even worsen your injuries.
- You are not comfortable with your current doctor. As we mentioned, choosing a doctor you feel comfortable with is important. If you do not feel comfortable with your current doctor, it may be in your best interest to switch to another one.
- Your current doctor is unfamiliar with the type of injury you’ve sustained. If your doctor is not familiar with your particular injury, they may not be able to provide the best possible care for you.
What You Should Do Before Switching Doctors
If you want to switch doctors, you should ensure you absolutely need to. Here’s what you should consider before making the switch:
- Talk to your current doctor about your concerns. If you have questions about treatment or are unhappy with your current treatment plan, speak with your doctor. They may have additional options or refer you to a specialist, or another doctor they believe can provide you with further help.
- Get a second opinion. If you’re unsure if you should switch doctors, get a second opinion from another doctor. This will give you a better idea of your treatment options and whether switching doctors is best for you.
- Consider the impact on your case. Switching doctors may impact your case if you are in the middle of a personal injury case. For example, if you have already seen a doctor and want to switch because you are unhappy with your treatment plan, but the next doctor you visit provides you with the same treatment plan, it could damage your claim. The insurance company may claim that treatment is unnecessary and refuse to cover it.
Speak with your attorney before making any decisions about changing doctors. Your attorney will be able to advise you on how changing doctors may impact your case and whether or not it is in your best interest to do so.
Making the Switch
If you’ve decided that you need to switch doctors, you should do a few things to make the process as smooth as possible.
- Get all of your medical records from your current doctor. This includes any notes, test results, x-rays, and MRI results. You will need these records when you see a new doctor.
- Choose a new doctor. When choosing a new doctor, ensure they are board certified and have experience treating personal injury cases.
- Schedule an appointment with your new doctor. Be sure to take your medical records with you to your first appointment.
Personal injury cases can be complex, and it’s important to have a doctor you trust on your side. If you’re unhappy with your current doctor, you should consider switching. However, do your research first and speak with your attorney to ensure switching doctors won’t negatively impact your case.
Have you been injured in an accident? We can help. Call us today for a free consultation. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will fight for the compensation you deserve.
Can I Switch Doctors If I’m Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Greenville, NC?
In North Carolina, workers’ compensation claimants are generally required to see a doctor chosen by their employer or the workers’ compensation insurance company. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. Such as, if you underwent emergency surgery in the hospital, the surgeon would usually continue as the treating physician. Additionally, if your employer is not cooperative, or the treating doctor is not appropriately trying to help get you healthy, you may need to switch doctors.
However, if you want to make the switch, specific procedures must be followed, or you could end up paying for your own medical bills or receive treatment from a physician whose opinions are not valid before the North Carolina Industrial Commission.
How to Make the Switch During a Greenville Workers’ Comp Case
If you’re injured at work, you should see a doctor as soon as possible. Your employer or the insurance company will then choose a doctor for you to continue treatment with. If you’re unhappy with this doctor, you can request a change.
First, you should review with a North Carolina workers’ compensation lawyer your right to ask to see another doctor. You have the right to select another doctor, but only if you get approval from the NC Industrial Commission. Receiving their approval is crucial because the Commission will ignore the opinions of unauthorized physicians.
You must submit a written request to your employer and insurance company to request a change. The request must be in writing because if a dispute arises, you must be able to prove that you made the request and it was denied or never responded to appropriately. If your request is approved, you will be able to switch doctors. You will have to continue treatment with the doctor you initially saw if it’s rejected.
Suppose the insurance company denies your claim or you want to explore other options. In that case, you have additional rights, such as the right to an independent medical examination or a rating exam. If you have questions about your workers’ compensation claim, call us for a free consultation. Our experienced workers’ compensation attorneys will be happy to answer any questions you have.
Personal Injury Claims We Handle in Greenville, NC
At The Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we have experience in various areas of personal injury law, including:
- Car Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Slip and Fall Injuries
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
Call us today for a free consultation if you or a loved one has been injured in an accident. We will fight for the compensation you deserve.
Contact a Greenville Personal Injury Attorney Today
If you have been injured in an accident, contact a personal injury lawyer in Greenville, NC, today. A personal injury lawyer can help you with every step of your case, from choosing the right doctor to filing a personal injury claim. They will also fight for the compensation you deserve.
At the Law Offices of Jason E. Taylor, we have over 25 years of experience handling personal injury cases in Greenville, NC. We will provide you with the experienced legal representation you need to win your case. Contact us today for a free consultation.